JAY M. GREGG
Carbonate Petroleum and Geochemistry
Office: 105 Noble Research Center
• Geological Society of America (Fellow)
• SEPM (Society for Sedimentary Geology)
• International Association of Sedimentologists
• American Association of Petroleum Geologists
• Irish Association for Economic Geology
• American Association for the Advancement of Science
• Sigma Xi
• The Fulbright Association
Professional Committee Activity and Offices Held
• Chair of Ad Hoc Committee on Global Climate Change, American Association of Petroleum Geologists, 2006-2007.
• Committee of Department Heads and Chairs, American Geophysical Union, 2006-2010 term.
• Chair of Ad Hoc Congressional Climate White Paper Committee, American Association of Petroleum Geologists, 2006.
• Editorial Board, Society of Economic Geologists 75th Anniversary Volume, 1994-1996.
• Sigma Xi, UMR Chapter, President, 1999-2000 term. Sigma Xi, Treasurer, UMR Chapter, 1993-1994 term, Vice-Chair, 1994-1995 term, Chair in absentia, 1995-1996.
• Second Vice Chair, Geological Society of America, Sedimentology Section, 1993-1994.
Short Courses, Field Trips, and Conferences Organized
• Field Trip Leader, Cambro-Ordovician facies of the St. Francis Mountains of Missouri, including an underground tour of a working Mississippi Valley-type lead/zinc mine in the Viburnum Trend, Oklahoma City Geological Society, April, 2010.
• Short Course, Dolomite and Dolomitization: Canadian Association for Petroleum Geology, Calgary Canada, May 2008 and May 2009.
• Short Course, Dolomite and Dolomitization: With an Emphasis on Epigenetic (Hydrothermal) Processes, Chesapeake Energy, Charleston, West Virginia, December 2007.
• AGU Workshops for Heads and Chairs, (one of several presenters), American Geophysical Union, December 2006 and 2007.
• Short Course, Dolomite: Mineralogy, Sedimentology, and Petrology, Irish Association for Economic Geology, University College Dublin, Ireland, June 1996.
• Short Course, Cathodoluminescence Microscopy and Spectroscopy, Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM), Denver, CO., June 1994.
• Field Trip Leader, A Trip Back in Time in the St. Francois Mts. North Central Section G.S.A. Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO, April 2004. International Field Conference on Carbonate-Hosted Lead-Zinc Deposits, Society of Economic Geologists, St. Louis, MO, June 1995. Viburnum Trend Pb-Zn Deposits and Ozark Region Carbonate Depositional Environments, North Central Section G.S.A. Annual Meeting, Rolla, MO, March 1993. Mississippi Valley-type Mineralization of the Viburnum Trend, GSA-SEG Field trip, November 1989. Upper Cambrian of Southeastern Missouri, SEPM Midcontinent Section, October 1989.
• Convener, Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM), with I. P. Montañez and K. L. Shelton, Research Conference on Basin-Wide Diagenetic Patterns, Lake Ozark, MO, May 1994.
• Convener, Symposium on Midcontinent Carbonate Depositional and Diagenetic Systems, North Central Section of The Geological Society of America 27th Annual Meeting, Rolla, MO, March 1993.
• Convener, International Symposium on the Bonneterre Formation (Cambrian), southeastern Missouri, stratigraphy, sedimentology, diagene-sis, geochemistry, and economic geology, Rolla, MO, April 1986.
Other Professional Activities
• Keynote Address, Conference on the Geometry and Petrogenesis of Dolomite Hydrocarbon Reservoirs, The Geological Society, London, U.K., December 2002.
• Visiting Professor, University of the Western Cape, Cape Town, S. Africa, May to June 1998.
• Registered Geologist, State of Missouri, December 1995 to present.
• Gordon Conference, Inorganic Geochemistry of Hydrothermal Ore Deposits, Invited presenter, Tilton, NH, August 1993.
• Invited Speaker, 1992 National Conference on Earth Sciences (Canada) Short Course, Dolomite—from process and models to porosity and reservoirs, September 1992.
• Co-Editor of special issue of Carbonates and Evaporites on Platform Carbonates and Mississippi Valley-type Mineralization, v. 4 no. 2, 1989.
• Session Chair, for numerous GSA, SEPM, AAPG and other professional meetings.
• Peer Reviewer for numerous journals, special publications, and funding agencies.
Selected University Service
Oklahoma State University
• Research Building Planning Committee 2005 to 2008.
University of Missouri-Rolla
• Committee of Chairs, 2000-2005.
• Chancellors Council, University of Missouri-Rolla, 2000-2005.
• School Policy Committee, School of Mines and Metallurgy, 2000-2005.
• University of Missouri Research Board 1998-2000 and 2000-2002 terms.
• University of Missouri Research Board, 1998-2000 and 2000-2002 terms.
• Missouri-Dublin exchange program Committee, Chair, 1997 to 2002.
• Search Committee, Dean of Enrollment Management, 2000-2001.
• Curriculum Task Force, 1993-1995.
• Academic Council, 1992-93 (filling for retired faculty member), 1993-95, 1998-00 Terms.
• Academic Council Tenure Committee, 1993-1995 and 1997-1999.
• Admissions and Academic Standards Committee, 1993-1995.
• Staff Council Committee on Child Care, 1992-1993.
• Committee on Library & Learning Resources, 1991-1995, 1996-1998.
• Search Committee, Dean of School of Mines and Metallurgy, 1992.
• Search Committee, Director of UMR Library and Learning Resource Center, 1992.
• Campus Committee on Faculty Conduct, 1989-1990 Term.
• UMR Doctoral Faculty, From 1989 to 2007.
• Jackling Institute, faculty lecture, July, 1990, June 1993, 1999, 2000, & 2001; Jackling II faculty advisor for high school student research, August, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1997, & 2001.
• Recruiting Committee, Department of Geology and Geophysics, August, 1988 to 2005.
• Freshman Advisor, Department of Geology and Geophysics, August, 1988 to May, 2000.
Professionally Related Community Service
• University of Missouri-Rolla Speakers Bureau, Summer 2000 to 2005.
• Faculty Advisor, UMR Wesley Foundation (Student Organization), Fall 1988 to 2005.
• Presentation to Rolla Rotary, Education in Ireland: Past and Present, June 6, 1997 and again on October 13, 1997.
• Boy Scouts of America, Merit Badge Counselor for Environmental Science, Geology, and Oceanography, 1993-1995.
• Geology Class for Cub Scout Pack 83, Rolla, January, 1993.
• Geology Consultant (Instructor and field trip leader), Girl Scouts of America, Rolla Neighborhood Day Camp, June, 1990.
• Middle School & High School Presentations and Field Trips, in Rolla area, 1993 to 2005.
• Numerous Elementary School Presentations, 1989 to present.
Back to Faculty Home Page