Computational Modeling, Earth Resources, Environment
Office: 103B Noble Research Center
Ph.D. 2009 Tohoku University, Japan
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
1. Top 5 most cited paper in the International Journal of Mineral Processing since 2007: “Bioleaching of
chalcopyrite with thermophiles. Temperature -pH-ORP dependence” by Vilcáez, Suto, and Inoue.
2. Top 25 Hottest Article in Minerals Engineering (October to December 2008): “Response of
thermophiles to the simultaneous addition of sulfur and ferric ion to enhance the bioleaching of
chalcopyrite” by Vilcáez, Suto, and Inoue.
3. Top 25 Hottest Article in Hydrometallurgy (January to March 2009): “Effect of pH reduction and
ferric ion addition on the leaching of chalcopyrite at thermophilic temperatures ” by Vilcáez, Yamada,
4. Recognition for Outstanding Academic Accomplishment, Graduate School of Environmental Studies,
Tohoku University, Japan, 2009 .
5. Monbukagakusho Scholarship for Graduates (Doctor Course), Japanese Ministry of Education,
Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan, 2006 – 2009.
6. Monbukagakusho Scholarship for Graduates (Master course). Japanese Ministry of Education,
Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan, 2003 – 2009.
7. Recognition for Outstanding Undergraduate Thesis Dissertation, Faculty of Technology, University of
Saint Francis Xavier, Bolivia, 1998.
8. Jaime Escalante Scholarship Award for Undergraduates, Jaime Escalante Foundation, Bolivia, 1993.
2014– Present Austin Journal of Earth Science
INVITED JOURNAL REVIEWER
1. Bioresources Technology
2. Journal of Hazardous Materials
3. Environmental Technology
4. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research
7. Energy & Fuels
8. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering
9. Environmental Science & Technology
10. Geochemical Transactions
1. American Geophysical Union (AGU)
2. Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE)
3. American Chemical Society (ACS)
4. Geological Society of Americ
INVITED SEMINARS AND PRESENTATIONS
1. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Seminar Series, R.S. Kerr Environmental Research
Center. Ada, Oklahoma -USA. May 11, 2016.
2. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) Oil and Gas Conference. Mcallen, Texas -USA.
March 23-25, 2016.
3. Annual meeting of Geological Society of America 2015. Baltimore, Maryland-USA. November 1-4,
4. Boon Pickens School of Geology Seminar Series, Oklahoma State University. Stillwater, Oklahoma -
USA. October 17, 2014.
5. Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation (JOGMEC)-TRC Week 2012, Tokyo -Japan. November
1. Chair of Advances in Groundwater Modeling at GSA 2015 Annual Meeting & Exposition in Baltimore.
Maryland-USA, November 2015.
2. Co-chair of Hydrology, Geochemistry, and Environment Geoscience at GSA South -Central Section –
49th Annual meeting in Stillwater. Oklahoma-USA, March 2015.
3. Organizer and chair of Mining of unconventional energy and mineral resources in Chile and Japan, at
UTokyo Forum Global Em ergence of Frontier Knowledge. Santiago-Chile, November 2013.